Citizen practices for world citizenship
The complexity and extent of interdependences among human societies are felt every time we are struck by current events. From the economic crisis at a nation’s level or at the international level to regional war theaters, to terrorism, to migrations and new forms of slavery and human exploitation, everything shows that we all are concerned and intrinsically dependent within a community of destiny. How then do we raise awareness of this de facto community and bring about the emergence of world citizenship and a global community?
The idea of a community is organically connected to the idea of mutual responsibility, at every scale and every age of humankind. There is a community when each of its members knows he or she is accountable to all others for the impact of his or her actions.
All over the world, people from diverse social and professional backgrounds (pensioners, company executives, scientists, journalists, soldiers, and so on) are reflecting on the question of responsibility, experimenting with new citizen practices, inventing new forms of “society to society” dialog, new spaces where citizens come together in “assemblies,” new forms of experience sharing and of collective action projects. All of these initiatives are also forms of social learning, where by recognizing our mutual responsibilities, we become aware of our community of destiny and of the need for world citizenship.
What initiatives and citizen action projects are underscoring the ethics of world citizenship?
- Project activities, social-professional and thematic fields of work
- Alliance for Responsibility and Sustainable Societies
- Responsibility through Codes of Ethics
- On Road to the Responsibility
- The Inhabitants’ Network
- Lima to Paris from the Southern Cone, towards global responsibility
- Proposal for Alliance for Responsability and sustainable societies
- Module to promote an ethic of responsibility in social protection
- Changes in responsibility: dialogue between jurists and civil society
- Putting Ethics into Action
- International meeting: Putting responsibility at the core of the transition towards sustainable societies
- Workshop « Climate Chance » : Meeting with remarkable people. Vulnerability & Resilience with respect to Climate issues: women, young people, elderly people, third world
- 3rd International Conference on “Changing Cities »
- The cities as key players in the transition to sustainable societies: the role of urban social movements
- Climate leadership by the Fidji islands
- Mediterranean citizenship: a community of destiny
- November 2019 - The world in turmoil
- ‘The starting sign of a civilization is solidarity’ - Editorial - Alliance Newsletter No 6 - April 2020
- Declaration of humankind rights
- UNESCO World Humanities Conference, Liège, Belgium, 6-12 August 2017